Wednesday, May 28, 2014

'Cuz I has to . . .


Eugene Peterson coined the phrase that discipleship is a long obedience in the same direction.  What a terrific picture.  Much of the Christian experience consists of putting one foot in front of the other, learning endurance, and staying by the stuff.

Alton Gansky shares great insight into what it means to take that long obedience in the same direction.  For him it is in writing.  For you it may be medicine, teaching, law, or ministry . . .

I have an odd hobby. When I meet someone new and we strike up a conversation, I ask, "So, what do you do?" Nothing strange there. Men are prone to this. While on an airplane, I asked that question of the guy next to me. At the time, I was still a pastor, speaking five times a week. He looked like a professional to me and I was correct. "I'm a doctor."

"Really? What kind of doctor?"

"I'm an anesthesiologist. What do you do?"

Read the entire article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment