Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Discipleship Tuesday: Enjoy that Bite!


The following devotion I wrote was featured this past Sunday on the ministry website of Christian Devotions:


Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. Psalm 34:8
 
At the end of church one Wednesday evening, my daughter handed me a caramel from her cupful of goodies. She knew I liked caramel drops, and she picked it out just for me. I stuck it in my pocket to enjoy later. After I arrived home I slipped into her bedroom to kiss her goodnight.

“Did you eat your caramel?” she whispered.

Sometimes God selects good gifts to give His children. Those gifts, hand-picked for us, come from the Father’s heart of love and affection. It may be something common like a new appliance needed for our home, a nice meal at our favorite restaurant, or a new pair of clothes. It could be something that can’t be purchased, like a quiet conversation with our spouse, an encouraging letter from an old friend, or the beauty of a sunset enjoyed on the beach.

At times, God’s gift to us is a transition to a new job, the beginning of a new season, the choice of a mate with whom to share life, or the beginning of a friendship or church family. The point is, He wants us to taste what He’s given us.

When life presents those fresh opportunities, instead of stepping back in fear or guilt, thinking “I don’t deserve that,” embrace these blessings as gifts from the Father. He is the One who offers small and sometimes large bounties along the way. His gifts are means through which He reminds us of the magnificent love He has for His children.

Instead of shrinking back, taste and see that the Lord is indeed good. He still offers caramels to those he loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment