Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Discipleship Tuesday: God Doesn’t Need You

God Doesn’t Need You

And that’s the best news you could ever hear.

by Fil Anderson

 
"Years ago, I spent several weeks traveling in Japan. I vividly recall the polluted, cloudlike darkness hanging over the larger cities, and the constant struggle to breathe. Glass-sided booths, available to pedestrians feeling desperate for fresh air, lined the streets. I remember coming out of one, hoping I’d make it to the next booth without choking.

The memory of my ducking into those human-size fishbowls to escape toxic air is a fitting metaphor for the restless world we live in. The weapons of mass distraction and self-destruction are everywhere. Our lives are constantly besieged by busyness, hurry, and noise. Living full throttle is expected, while running on empty is the norm—sadly, even among followers of Christ.

Had I died 25 years ago, “running on empty” is how I most likely would have been remembered. Although I had made a name for myself within the ministry I served, I was physically exhausted and spiritually demoralized. Late at night, while my wife and our children slept, I would lie awake fearing that I had come to the end of my rope. And the following morning, it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed."

No comments:

Post a Comment